ABOUT THE MUSIC INFORMATION CENTRE
In 1995, IEMA, based on the extensive material acquired and experience already collected, inaugurated a special project concerning Music Information in Greece aiming to:
- Collect information on Greek music life
- Reply to information requests from institutions or people
- Document and promote Greek Music
- Promote new music creation
- Organize activities concerning music information
- Publish music newsletters
- 1998 - GMIC is formed as a separate department of IEMA through which documentation, information and development activities are realized.
- 2000 - Information availability on the Internet through the knode of the Greek ministry of Culture. Creation of the Greek Music Portal.
- 2001 - GMIC participates in the National Music Network of the Ministry of Culture.
Start of distribution of weekly electronic music newsletters.
- 2002 - GMIC is the developer of the national framework "Digitalization and Promotion of Greek Music Heritage". Participation and member application at the International Association of Music Information Centers (IAMIC).
- 2003 - GIMIC becomes a full member of IAMIC and representative of Greece. GMIC becomes member of the European Congress of Promoters of New Music (ECPNM)
- 2004 - Research project "Polymnia" is started. Polymnia, among others, foresaw the construction of a Music Information Portal.
IEMA-GIMIC develops the "Guidelines and specifications for the digitization of music and sound"
- 2005 - Two new projects started: "Digitization of Greek Music Heritage" and "Promotion of Greek Music". Both financed by the Information Society National Framework Operational Programme.
- 2006 - A new department is founded under the name "Greek Music Documentation Centre". This department as as main objective the compilation of the Digital Archive of Greek Music and the promotion of Greek Music.
Archival material of GMIC-GMDCThe documentation archive is the richest available in Greece, numbering 10.000 records in digital form and available through searchable databases on the Internet (for the moment only in Greek). It consists of:
- Music Information Material
- Greek composers biographical & work material (200 composers, 60 of them extensive)
- Concert halls in Greece (220 sites with photos, plans, analytical data and acoustical comments)
- Music ensembles (400 records: choirs, bands, orchestras, small ensembles)
- Music schools (780)
- Audio engineering schools (34)
- Music Institutions and Associations (116)
- Music Bibliographical Database (4285 titles of books available in Greek bookstores and libraries)
- Music periodical press (24)
- Database of Traditional Music Events in Greece (2000 records) - Music Editors - Music houses - Sound houses (595)
- Music libraries and archives (50)
- Concerts organizers (19)
- Sound & light equipment rental (116)
- Recording studios (91)
- Record companies (84)
- Musical Instrument constructors-repairs (61)
- General Press (556)
- Radio and TV stations (431)
- Library and audiovisual archives
- Books Library (2000 titles)
- Digitized Sound archives (70 000 Items)
- Video archives (300 items)
- Digitized Music scores (38 000 pages)
- Digitized periodicals, concert programs etc (7800 pages)
- Digitized photos (9 000 items)