The educational programs organized by IEMA are based on the Institute's objectives and comprise of seminars, workshops, educational projects and production of educational material.
Seminars & Workshops
Lecture on Acoustics and Musical Acoustics see Lectures IEMA
Seminar on building greek traditional string instruments
The duration of the seminar is 4 months with 6 hours a week. During the seminar the participants are learning all the technics of building traditional string instruments more over they are building each one an instrument that he/she can take after the completion of the seminar.
Costs are 250€ inscription and instruments material plus 10€ every hour.
The participants after the completion get et certification of knowledge on instrument building.
Tutor of the seminar is Theophilos Lazarou (graduated from
More information: +30-6978-63.77.84 or +30-210-33.10.129
Till now 4 such seminars are accomplished educating 16 instruments builders
WORKSHOP: Care and Maintenance of Classical String Instruments
- Sebastien Seixas: 19/2/2009, 8:00 p.m.
IEMA was collaborator on the National project "MELNA - Education and Culture" from1994 till 2004 organizing training seminars and producing educational material. This project is a joint initiative of the Greek ministries of Culture and Education aiming to introduce new music educational methods to schools. IEMA's participation in this project focuses on the field of music education. A series of CD-ROMs, special software and publications have been created and distributed in schools. :
- The Sound of Music: Music games, activities and guidance for music education in elementary schools. (Instr. Kostas Moschos)
- Music Geography of Greece: Presentation of the diverse music identities in the Greek area. (Pantelis Kavakopoulos)
- Introduction to Traditional Music: Introduction traditional music and music genres. (Yiorgos Hatzimichelakis)
- Rhythmology: Rhythms from Greece and the world. (Lefteris Grigoriou)
- Introduction to 20th century Music: By Vassilis Kokkas
- Popular Music of the World: Introduction to popular music genres, their history and music particularities as they are formed around the world.
- Music in the Mediterranean: Introduction to the music identities of Italy, Spain, Morocco, Egypt and Croatia via music activities and music listening. (Kostas Moschos)
- Music and Tales of the Gypsies and the Kurds: By Nancy Toubakari
Training program on Music Education and Cultural Management
A 400-hour training program for music educators and animators in conjunction with "MENTOR" Educational Institute and "MELINA" Educational Program.
- Music Information Workshop
- Sound Composing techniques
- Digital Recording and Sound Processing
- Real time Music Information Applications
- Algorithmic Composition
- History, Analysis and Aesthetics
- Introduction to Music Cultures: The Mediterranean, the Balkans, Latin America, Far East, India and Islam.
- Approaching 20th century Music: Movements, Concepts and Music Styles.
Lecturers: Tom Mays, Kostas Moschos, Lefteris Grigoriou, Anargyros Deniozos.
Music Acoustics: Principles of sound, scales, instrument acoustics, space acoustics, intervals, winding.
- Music of today, Music of the past: Introductory seminar to the music of the Middle Ages. Instructor: Panagiotis Vlaggopoulos.
- Music and New Technology
- Workshop: Algorithmic composition in MAX environments. Instructor: Kostas Moschos
- Seminar on digital sound composition: Introduction to CSOUND programming language. Instructor: Paris Smaragdis.
"Eniha" - European Union Training Program for the Construction of Music Instruments
One of IEMA's aims is the creation of work placements and training programs concerning the construction of musical instruments. This goal was fulfilled under the project "Eniha" which was financially supported by the Greek ministry of Culture and EU funds. The project was realized between 1991 and 1992.
Response to the program was significant reaching the number of 120 applications for participation. From these twenty students were selected to attend the course which included theoretical (theory of traditional music, development of hearing, listening to instruments etc) and practical approaches to the topic. Three different practical strands were followed: a) string instruments, b) wind instruments and c) multi-string instruments. During the "Eniha" project participation reached the sum of 40 people who are currently working as instrument makers or instructors of instrument making.
- Three-day seminar on Electronic Music in conjunction with Patras Conservatory.